Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Where were the Amish?



I entered Pennsylvania with dread. Not of the challenges and potential hardships that lay beyond the state, but dread for the state itself. What I had considered to be mutual dislike had been cultivated over the past four years with keys locked in the car, flat tires and other driving woes while traveling through the state for nearly every weekend regatta. I had only ever traveled the short way (North-South), but today we went through the long way (East-West). Naturally I was nervous.


The eastern part of the state was surprisingly uneventful which did not appease my worry as I was certain that something was waiting for us down the road. Nicole mentioned that she thought we had entered the Midwest somewhere around the middle of the state. I think we are both worried about being landlocked for a few days.


But we planned to work out at a gym everyday while driving across the country, so we exited the highway in Clearfield, PA around lunchtime. We reached the gym we had picked out online, Body Matrix, and were at first uncertain about our decision. However, after chatting with the lone guy at the desk (see below) we were warmly welcomed to use their equipment. This gym was just what we needed to keep up our fitness routine and the friendliness of the guy definitely reduced my inherent dread about Pennsylvania.



Needless to say, the other residents of Clearfield, PA where genuinely friendly althoughperhaps curious about our transportation set up. The remainder of Pennsylvania was much more pleasant after our Clearfield experience. My Pennsylvania dread is no longer. I was still happy to see the welcome to Ohio sign. -CW



No comments: